Hayley McCarthyand Vicky Jessop are the school's Learning Mentors, working together across KS1 and KS2 to support children and their families. They work with children, parents, school staff and outside agencies to find the best way forward for children who may be experiencing some difficulties, which may be affecting their learning. They are also able to provide support for pupils to help develop academic, personal and social skills.
The Aims of the Learning Mentor:
- To provide day to day practical support, through advice and guidance to enable children to function effectively and independently.
- To target support according to need
- To support parents
- To help remove barriers to learning, both within and outside school
- To support transition procedures into KS2 and links to secondary school
- To support families as and when needed
- To liase with Headteacher and teachers to give the best support for our children
- To offer extra curricular activities at lunchtimes and after school
- To give parents/carers the opportunity to attend courses within school that will benefit them
- To offer counselling to identified children
- To promote positive behaviour and implement strategies to improve behaviour
- To be an informal link
- To be aware of attendance issues and to promote good attendance
- To run groups to support children's needs i.e. friendship, self esteem, anger management and self confidence
- To promote self discipline and socially acceptable behaviour
- To promote Healthy schools and our Healthy Tuck Shop
- To run a Share Group for parents as an added link within school
They can also offer one to one support for children experiencing difficulties. In some cases the staff in school will identify children who may need help, but if you as a parent have concerns please do not hesitate to contact the school to discuss these issues. Your child may have problems which need long term help or there may be situations where your child needs support for a short period of time. In either of these cases, please do not hesitate to contact the school, via the school office and ask to speak to one of our Learning Mentors.